Contact Me

Of course you can contact me at the following places:

Facebook (most likely to get me here), Twitter, My other blog: Welcome to the Maze that is My Mind, Or good ole fashion E-mail


Saturday, December 1, 2012

Knights of the Round Table

Synopsis:

It's King Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot. Y'all!

Review:

Ok, so I'm probably biased on this one.  As a matter of fact, I know I am, so bare with me while I rip this apart.

Let me start by saying that this movie as a whole wasn't that bad.  It's worth a view if you like old fantasy films.  The acting was well done.  I can't dispute that.  Robert Taylor as Lancelot and Ava Gardner as Guinevere are great in their respective roles.  And for their time, the sets, costumes and musical score are well done also.

However...

I am a bit of an Avalon buff.  While there are a number of different takes as far as the folklore is concerned, there are certain consistencies in every version that were not followed here.  Arthur Pendragon was never depicted as a blond.  That was Guinevere.  Morgan Le Fey was his sister (half-sister) not a member of the court, but you always knew there was a biological connection because of the black hair.  A trait that was passed on to his illegitimate son, Modred, who is not his son in this movie.  Which is a shame because in all accounts that is a big part of the death of Arthur because it is his own son who betrays and murders him.  Modred still murders him in this, but not as his son.  On top of it there are like 30 Knights of the Round Table instead of the 12 there are supposed to be.

There were more inconsistencies and I could go on, but it would just bother me more than it already does.  Needless to say, if you are a fan of the folklore and fictions about Arthur and the Knights, this is very distracting and makes you want to throw things at the screen because there is an inconsistency about every 10 minuets.  But for those points that seem to change depending on who is telling the story, they did a good job making them their own.  I'm talking about things like Lancelot's marriage to the Lady Elaine, the sword in the stone or Merlin's role in all of this.

Over all, as I said, it's not a badly done movie..  They just needed to hire writers who did better research.  I would suggest watching this, but only once.  And only to enjoy the costumes and acting.

Kid safe:  Yes.

IMDB link:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045966/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. The fact that you read this far is appreciated.